Monday, June 25, 2012

Triathlon Time!

     Spencer & I completed the Shark Attack Sprint Triathlon in Riverton on June 16th.  It was a really fun experience, and we will most likely do more!  I had been training since January with my sister who really helped me get into a good workout groove.  If it hadn't have been for her, I probably would not have done this yet!  When we started I could run for maybe 1/4 mile.  I am not a runner, and do did not enjoy it, I could go hike for 10 miles no problem!  I can now run 1.5 - 2 miles straight, which is plenty for me, and it's not too bad!  
     A couple things factored into us finally signing up for this tri.  First, Carla getting me up at 6 am to work out 3-4 days a week.  Second, uncle Sam helping us out with some new Cannondale hybrid bikes [mix between a road and mountain bike] from Infinite Cycles bike shop.  Third, Spencer's old employer sponsoring us, paying for our race fees, swimming pass and shirts!  

Our triathlon included:  Swim 300 yards, Bike 11.5 miles, Run 5k (3.1 miles)

Melina's stats:  finished #166 of 197
Swim: 8:53
transition time: 2:47
Bike: 54:38
transition time: 1:29
Run: 35:17
Overall Time: 1:43:04

Spencer's stats: finished #132 of 197
Swim: 9:04
transition time: 2:43
Bike: 48:49
transition time: 1:02
Run: 30:49
Overall Time: 1:32:27

now for the picture story...
Number time, it's official
 We have no idea how this is going to pan out!
 I was not worried about the swim.  Got into it with a couple big guys, but passed them and went on my way.  Only drawback here was how warm the water was!  Not fun to swim in that heat.
 I started to swim w/o my goggles on...oopes!  You can see me come up and put them on while Spencer is just getting in.
 I am taking this seriously!  Posing gave me a good excuse to catch my breath.
 300 yards, done
 Transition to the bikes!
We rode together for 3 minutes on the bike, then  Spencer quickly passed me on the rest.
 Our cheering section, arrived right before we came in on the bike.  This is where I teared up, as soon as I saw that sweet little boy waving with excitement and a huge smile on his face!
 11.5 miles, done
 Our parents were so great in bringing the kids out there and supporting us
 Carla was amazing to be there at 6:45 a.m. to take pictures of all our events.  Then it was so nice for Matt and EZ to come as well.  Now they can't wait to join us on the next one!
 Running strong to the finish line!
 and now it's time for Spencer to break down!
 Our friends joined us and helping with advice along our training.  They killed their race times!
 5k, done and feeling great!  My knees do not like the running, hence my knee braces on.  But they didn't give me any trouble during this run and I was able to run most of it and finish 10 minutes earlier than expected.  (I've been running it in 40-45 minutes, finished in 35!)
 I carried my biggest fan across the finish line
 We can do hard things!
 Thanks PMI for the sponsorship
 Love these bikes
Mine has had shifting problems, probably from being knocked to the ground.  Unfortunately I had the most problems on this race ride, not being able to use my 2nd gear.  So I rode most of it in my 3rd gear, which I was ok with.  However, my chain fell off during the race, right as i started going up a small hill! ugg...I have maybe fixed a chain once, 15 years ago!  I was lucky to figure it out and get it right back on and get myself up that hill with no momentum.
WE DID IT!! And barely sore after.  We went to the zoo two hours later, then I took a 3 hour nap! then we jumped on the trampoline and took a walk.  Still gotta keep moving!
You can see some more pictures on our Picasa Web Album here

1 comments:

The Glades said...

Way to go guys!! That is so awesome!