Friday, August 20, 2010

the Birthday Bash

"Your 20's were fun, but now you are done. 30's are neat, but be careful what you eat!" [from his sister]
That's right folks, he's the ripe old age of 30! Spencer has always made such a big deal about turning 30, thinking it was when you really started to get old! So, I had been planning to do this type of party for 3 years now. Our friend in our ward threw this "Old Party" 3 years ago for her husband. We weren't in this ward or even friends yet, so we didn't go, but our mutual friends did, and that's how I knew about this party idea.

We made yummy golf cakes and decorated them into the late hours. Secured the beloved soft serve ice cream machine from our friends. Went to the store many times. Decorated the deck. And waited for friends and family to show up.
THANK YOU's for every person who came!! We really feel loved and supported.

Surprise parties are so hard to pull off! I am horrible at lying, so I made up lame things I hoped Spencer wouldn't catch on to. He said I blew the surprise the night before, but he misunderstood what I said, oh well. I felt so sick right before the party, wondering if I could really pull it off! Will the decor look lame? Does Spencer know? How do I get him here w/o suspecting? Will friends and family even show up, like more than 10 at least? Are my cakes good? Will he even enjoy the "old" party? Well, my friends, a SUCCESS it was. The decor was good enough; I got Spencer there, though I guess I did some things inadvertently that confirmed to him a party was most likely going on. He very much enjoyed himself with friends and family...who more than showed up and made it a party! And the cakes seemed to be good, most of them were eaten. I did it! And it is over. Thankfully. I will personally not be putting a surprise party on for a very long time. The stress!
SURPRISE!
Friends & family came
Some dressed up so fun. Sorry I didn't get many picts. The Golf Cakes, patterned somewhat after St. Andrews Golf Course in Scotland
A favorite course he has played

I even got Sparkler Numbers, instead of candles! They last a while, akward pause & watching.
Our "Old" outfits I had ready to change into.
Spencer was a good sport, and played the part very good. Doesn't he age well??!


ODE TO SPENCER

I hope you had/have a wonderful birthday. We are so blessed to have you in our lives. You are simply Amazing. You are fun, caring, loving and adventurous. You cook & clean, and enjoy it! I have said it before, you are 1 in a million men who do all that you do, willingly.
You are the best husband and father I could have ever chosen. Thank you for all the adventures in life. I always look forward to what life throws at us next.
WE LOVE YOU!



5 comments:

ChotZ said...

What a fun party! I love the cakes!! Happy Birthday Spencer!

Amber Ada Reimann Burns said...

Looks like your party turned out swell! Tell the old man happy birthday from the burns.

Liz and John Behunin said...

Happy birthday Spencer. Isn't 30 just the worst?

Jen Baxter said...

I am so glad it turned out! So sorry that we couldn't make it. It looks like it was a blast. Way to go on the surprise! It is hard pulling one off.

sojay said...

Wait till your this side of 40, 30 will start to sound really young...