Monday, November 22, 2010

Things that change life when you have a baby

People ask me if life is that different with a baby, and to them I say "It's completely different, we have similarities, but daily life in general is totally different." This has been somewhat hard for me to handle, it changed more than I expected it to, and I am still trying to figure it out so I don't lose my identity among the busy everday baby life that consumes me [which I love, don't get me wrong, but I still need some Melina time for crafts or what not!] I get emails from BabyCenter.com about my growing baby. This is an article that came the other day. It is nice to be reminded of all the good things that have changed in life, because sometimes it's just gets hard, though we would take every bad day over again if we had to, because it is still worth it. The items bolded really hit me more than the others.

1. You finally stop to smell the roses, because your baby is in your arms.
2. Where you once believed you were fearless, you now find yourself afraid. [See a reader's perspective in #22, below.]
3. The sacrifices you thought you made to have a child no longer seem like sacrifices.
4. You respect your body ... finally.
5. You respect your parents and love them in a new way.
6. You find that your baby's pain feels much worse than your own.
7. You believe once again in the things you believed in as a child.
8. You lose touch with the people in your life whom you should have banished years ago.
9. Your heart breaks much more easily.
10. You think of someone else 234,836,178,976 times a day.
11. Every day is a surprise.
12. Bodily functions are no longer repulsive. In fact, they please you. (Hooray for poop!)
13. You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself.
14. You become a morning person.
15. Your love becomes limitless, a superhuman power.
And from our readers...
1. "You discover how much there is to say about one tooth."
2. "You finally realize that true joy doesn't come from material wealth."
3. "You now know where the sun comes from."
4. "You'd rather buy a plastic tricycle than those shoes that you've been dying to have."
5. "You realize that although sticky, lollipops have magical powers."
6. "You don't mind going to bed at 9 p.m. on Friday night."
7. "Silence? What's that?"
8. "You realize that the 15 pounds you can't seem to get rid of are totally worth having."
9. "You discover an inner strength you never thought you had."
10. "You no longer rely on a clock — your baby now sets your schedule."
11. "You give parents with a screaming child an 'I-know-the-feeling' look instead of a 'Can't-they-shut-him-up?' one."
12. "Your dog — who used to be your 'baby' — becomes just a dog." [Many readers begged to differ, saying things like, " I disagree with number 12. My dogs are my additional children," "Nothing about previous babies, whether two- or four-legged, changes when a new miracle comes along," "My dog will never be 'just a dog," and "This is sad to me. My cat is still my baby too."]
13. "You take the time for one more hug and kiss even if it means you'll be late."
14. "You learn that taking a shower is a luxury."
15. "You realize that you can love a complete stranger."
16. You find yourself wanting to make this world a better place. [even more so now]
17. If you didn’t believe in love at first sight before, now you do!
18. You start to appreciate Sesame Street for its intellectual contribution.
19. You have to quit watching the news because you see every story from a mother's perspective and it breaks your heart.
20. You just plain love life more - everything comes together and becomes better because of one tiny person and your love for them.
21. You finally find out the real reason you have those breasts.
22. In response to #2 [above], I'd say that where you were once afraid, you're now fearless. I was always very timid and shy and let myself get walked all over … but now where my kid's concerned, I'll speak my mind and really connect with my inner "b"!
23. The support you get from other people surprises you, because the people giving it are not always the ones you'd expect.
24. Nothing is just yours any longer. You share EVERYTHING!
25. No matter what you've accomplished in life, you look at your child and think, "I've done a GREAT job!"
26. You want to take better care of yourself for your child.
27. You can have the most wonderful conversation using only vowel sounds like "ahhh" and "oooo."

2 comments:

Mel said...

Thanks for posting this. Yesterday I was thinking how badly I just wanted some alone time. To do whatever I wanted...because it feels like since I've had a baby that has gone completely out the window. I am definitely still learning how to juggle being a Mom, and doing everything else. and Although it's REALLY hard sometimes, I love my little guy so much-I wouldn't trade the experience of motherhood for anything.

ChotZ said...

That is such a cute post! I'm not going to say I didn't get teary. :) I get so scared to have a baby, but this post makes me feel like I can do it sooner than I thought. :)